Re: Packages needing to be tested

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:47:45PM -0500, Igor Khavkine wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 03:00:06PM -0500, Neal H Walfield wrote:
> > > Maybe we can make translators register with /etc/mtab, like processes
> > > register with proc. ext2fs would register with /etc/mtab, so would
> > > ufs, but not necessarily ftpfs or tarfs (whenever that's done).
> >
> > You want filesystems which have not yet been started (but are mounted in
> > the Unix sense) to be listed.  For example, you boot and you have
> > your root file system mounted on /.  Mounted, right?  Then you have
> > /home/me/extra-space be a passive translator.  It will not be started to
> > be translated until after it has been first accessed (e.g. once you log in
> > and do an ls), however, for all intents and purposes, it is mounted but
> > it will never have had the chance to register with the mtab translator.
>
> Would you really want that?

I wouldn't want passive translators with a backing store show up in
/etc/mtab, so I think volunatry and dynamic registration by the servers
would be the way to go (note that enforcing such a policy is not useful, we
already enfore registration with proc for user level filesystems).

> Another option that seems more like what you're proposing is keeping
> a persistent registry of all used filesystems. Come to think of it,
> it would be very much like /etc/fstab. But fstab is already used for
> mounting partitions at boot time,

Not on the Hurd. We use it for fsck only.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de