Device drivers implemented as translators?

  is it possible/practical to implement device drivers under Hurd as
translators in user space? I think of removing all the device drivers
from GNUmach (or whatever micro kernel we use then ;), which already
make this micro kernel quite big. Then, you could for example settrans
/hurd/devices/floppy to /dev/fd0 and had your floppy drive available
as /dev/fd0. What do you think about it? Is it practical?
This would also make the Hurd more independent from the underlying
micro kernel, because it comes with its own device drivers.

/* Moritz Schulte <moritz@hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de>
 * http://hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de/~moritz/
 * PGP-Key available, encrypted Mail is welcome.