Re: MAXHOSTNAMLEN

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 10:59:49AM +0000, martin.stenzel@d2mail.de wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am just wondering whether the values for
>
> MAXHOSTNAMELEN = 64
> and
> MAXPATHLEN = 512
>
> are correct for the Hurd.
>

> When compiling progs that need these values I had to exchange the variables with the values.
>
> Where to put them so the system knows about them?
>
> TIA, Martin.

Hurd tries not to impose arbitray limitations of this kind. So theses macros
are not defined on a Hurd system, because they simply don't make sense.
Instead of simply redefining those macros you should rather look at the code
that uses them and rewrite parts of it using functions like strdup, asprintf,
etc. that handle arbitrary sized strings. This most often requires careful
changes and at least some understanding of the code that you're changing.

Igor