Re: MAXHOSTNAMLEN

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 10:59:49AM +0000, martin.stenzel@d2mail.de wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am just wondering whether the values for
>
> MAXHOSTNAMELEN = 64
> and
> MAXPATHLEN = 512
>
> are correct for the Hurd.

No. There are no correct values for them. The correct thing is not to
provide any values, which is what we do.

PATH_MAX:
Posixly correct software should in this case with pathconf("...", _PC_PATH_MAX)
which will return -1 on the Hurd, which means no limit, and you have to
handle any length memory can take (malloc/realloc/loop).

MAXHOSTNAMELEN:
Any length can occure, and you should check for ENAMETOOLONG and realloc a
larger buffer. See inetutils source gethostname implementation, or other
places which do it correct.

> When compiling progs that need these values I had to exchange the variables with the values.

Well, this works as a hack but the proper way is described above.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de