Re: ssh success

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> I compiled openssh and friends a while ago, but never cleaned up my patches
> to make them suitable for upstream. If you want to do that, that would be
> great.

openssl is polished now, the patch to the current Debian source
package is at
<URL:http://pluto.tuwien.ac.at/~robbe/debian/hurd/openssl-0.9.5a-5.patch>

Marcus, is it correct to check if DEB_HOST_ARCH is defined, and fall
back to "dpkg --print-architecture" if not? Or should I use
dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH in all cases? Or just when
DEB_HOST_ARCH is undefined?

Once I'm sure on this issue, I'll send the patch to the maintainer.

A document that explained all the details of the architecture stuff
(especially in connection with the hurd and/or crosscompiling) would
be a Very Good Thing. It'd also make a fine target to point
maintainers at in the inevitable "please don't use dpkg
--print-architecture" bugreports.

For the lazy, a signed binary version is at
<URL:http://pluto.tuwien.ac.at/~robbe/debian/hurd/openssl_0.9.5a-5_hurd-i386.changes>

> > Hmm, a versioned conflict matching an unversioned provides.
[...]
> That's because we use a version from CVS, which is unstable but has hurd
> support.

I hope we can lay dpkg 1.6.999 to rest, soon...

[MAXHOSTNAME]
> Well, this needs to be fixed with realloc() and a loop.

Indeed, I just wanted to make sure that it would not loop on errors
other than ENAMETOOLONG (the name of which I only found out later).

I have now done the loop thingy in two occasions, and use fixed
lengths on two others, where only a limited number of characters is
used anyway (keyword: "%.400s").

> There are gnome-libs packages available, please try if this works.

They are not installable, due to:
  libgtk1.2: Depends: gconv-modules but it is not installable

> > I /think/ it just wants that to generate a new hostkey in "make
> > install", which is completely useless anyway, so one could
> > probably just prevent that.

That was the case, so I just removed that bit.

> That's good. You need to conditionalize debian/control in debian/rules
> on the value of
>
> DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM = `dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM`

Ok, that's still to do.

At the moment, I have produced a hacked version which is
hurd-specific. Finally, there's binaries *and* source, both protected
by a signed changes file. Look at
<URL:http://pluto.tuwien.ac.at/~robbe/debian/hurd/openssh_2.2.0p1-1.1hurd_hurd-i386.changes>
and go from there. To build from source you'll need the
openssh_2.2.0p.orig.tar.gz from the main Debian archives, too.

--
Robbe