Re: Report on X

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 05:43:09PM +0530, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> $ mail
> N <Some new test message>...
> unable to lock mailbox: permission denied.
> $

Maybe mail needs partial locking, which is not implemented in the Hurd. Only
whole file locking works. You need to check the source for l_len in the
F_SETLK fcntl. If it is something else than 0, you're out of luck.

> (2) I tried to make a few debs from source.  Here is what happened.
>
> 	(a) I wanted to compile numeric python and started to compile
> 	the python-llnl package (which originally was the source).  I
> 	had installed the relevant python packages.  I found that,
> 	the python-dev package doesnt ship with all the header
> 	files.   My linux install has 69 files in
> 	/usr/include/python1.5/	 but hurd had 63.  I simply copied
> 	the missing ones from linux and it worked.

You should list the missing files. Maybe they are about features the hurd
doesn't have.

Usually, such one time hacks are terrible wrong, and don't bring us further.
In the ideal case, you should get the python source, build it, ands ee why
it doesn't include those headers. Yes, I know it takes more time. What do
you think I am doing two years long? The advantage is that your work isn't
lost, but a real contribution.

> 	(b) While compiling python-numeric.  I found that a lot of
> 	important modules were not present in hurd.  glob and shutil
> 	come to mind.
>
> 	$ ls -la /gnu/usr/lib/python1.5/ | wc -l
> 	190
> 	$ ls -la /usr/lib/python1.5/ | wc -l
> 	424
> 	$

I am not a python guy, and nobody else bother to build and upload them.
Maybe at some day the autobuilder will catch up on them, but otherwise you
need to find some interested maintainer or build them yourself.

Are those modules in the standard python package?
Maybe they are disabled in the hurd build for some reason.

> 	(c) I ran X as root with blackbox as the wm and decided to try
> 	using X for a while.  I tried to compile mesa.  I did this
> 	under X.  It was crazy.  I had 4 xterms running and a remote
> 	login.  I did dpkg-buildpackage -B -uc inside the mesa source
> 	tree.  At first things were pretty ok.  But soon, hurd started
> 	swapping like crazy.  I let it swap for almost 2 hours.  The
> 	machine was practically unusable.  There werent too many
> 	processes (as far as a ps uax was concerned) but it was
> 	swapping like hell.  It finally got to the point that I was
> 	scared to burning my hard disk and I tried to kill the
> 	processes but to no avail. After I killed a lot of the
> 	packages, hurd froze and I hit the reset.  Mesa still hadnt
> 	finished building.  I then went back to the console and redid
> 	the dpkg-buildpackage this time round it got much farther but
> 	stopped a some error that I wasnt in a state to debug - it was
> 	too early in the morning.

Welcome in the world of the Hurd :) Of course there is some leak, as I
mentioned in my original mail. How much RAM do you have?

You can check the state of processes with "ps -F hurd-long -x -a"
Check the line with pflocal when running X! It has a lot of threads, and a
highe memory usage.

> 	Basically, X has some serious problem.  I have no idea what.
> 	Maybe there are too many threads (I remember that Marcus
> 	mentioned that X uses up some 2000 of them).

Not X itself, the pflocal Hurd server.

> 	(d) The tcl and tk packages dont ship with the respective
> 	libraries. Under linux they do.  For instance the package
> 	tk8.0 under linux contains the file /usr/lib/libtk8.0.so.1 but
> 	there is no such file in the hurd package.  Similar is the
> 	case for the tcl8.0 package.  Because of this python-tk doesnt
> 	work.  I have downloaded the soruces and will see if a rebuild
> 	fixes this.

There are some soname'ing issues. Some versions of libtool are broken, for
example. I have to look at tcl/tk how it names libraries. In general, we
want the same names as in linux, just for simplicity.