Re: Report on X

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 10:27:05PM -0700, Steve Bowman wrote:
> Had to --force-conflicts with dpkg to install fonts and override the
> shellutils conflict (already reported).

This is unrelated to X, and I am working on it (soon :)

> Setting up kbd and mouse.  PS/2 mouse works, _but_, have to set up as
> settrans -c /dev/mouse /hurd/mouse --protocol=ps/2; -p=ps/2 does not
> work (why did I think it would - seems I saw the short form somewhere -
> doc error, translator bug, or me barking up the wrong tree?)

This should be "-p ps/2". When you are using short options, you must not use
the "=".

> Set up kbd as "settrans /dev/kbd /hurd/kbd /dev/kbd" from information on
> http://f77.nop.or/jp/doc/XFree86-3.3.3.1.html#theTable.  MB's instructions
> had a different settrans to run.  Haven't checked both ways.

The kbd translator doesn't check the command line at all, if the source code
is any judge. So either will work.

> Side issues: su was installed without suid bit, so logging on as a regular
> user and su'ing to root did not work.  Easy fix, but installation broken
> somewhere.

I will check this, too. Thanks!

> Can only run X as root.

I never tried as non-root :) Any help welcome.

> dpkg 1.6.999 has a broken "-l" options which just prints "=" forever.

I told Wichert. Remember that we are using an inofficial version from CVS.

> Forgive lack of record-keeping - it was unavoidable.

In this case completely forgiveable, as all problems are well understood by
now (I was a bit confused over a couple of them initially).

Thanks for this summary,