Re: Initial trouble with X

Brent Fulgham <brent.fulgham@xpsystems.com> writes:

> > I tried to get the packages but there was huge dependencies problems
> > (notably shell-utils 'conflicts' with login, and also
> > pre-depends on 'login' or 'hurd'... that made me do several mistakes
> > - the removal of basic packages that rendered my system useless...
> > and I did a fresh install, since I knew more this time and could
> > avoid several errors).
> >

> For what it's worth I saw this problem, too.  I just overrode the
> shellutils conflict and installed it.  I think the problem is that
> Hurd "provides login", which still gets treated as a conflict.  This
> was the shellutils in the ftp.debian.org archive.

Yes, but with a fresh install they didn't appear.... my system was
broken or something was upgraded meanwhile.

> > Also, when I put the ftp.de.debian.org line in sources.list
> > (unstable main) it reports a huge amount of packages... that
> > prolly belong to Linux woody... but if I specify binary-hurd-i386
> > apt tries to open ...debian/dists/unstable/main/
> > binary-hurd-i386/binary-hurd-i386 ... Is that amount of packages
> > (that include gnome, kde, netscape, Linux kernel,
> > etc...) normal? If not how do I get it to work?
> >

> I think they are normal.  Some of the packages show up as binary-all
> because they are either sources (like the linux kernel packages),
> or are not binaries in the true sense (like various system utilities
> written in Perl).
>
> Before updating you should probably install the dpkg found at
> alpha.gnu.org (1.6.999).  It works flawlessly and you can trust its
> package handling.

That was prolly it, the new dpkg; I have that like back on, thanks.

> > The solution was to comment out ftp.de.debian.org (after upgrading
> > everything, the hurd to the correct new version) and make do with
> > alpha.gnu.org... then I saw all the new X packages and
> > installed them (I pretty much installed them all, except for
> > Xservers, only installed mine).
> >
> Good.

And now they even work ;)

> > I had the following problems:
> >
> > Making the mouse translator (settrans /dev/mouse etc) it says
> > /dev/mouse, file not found; I tried to do a MAKEDEV mouse but
> > it gave me an error (MAKEDEV kbd worked); reading the Japanese
> > page (Yasushi's one) I saw that with a serial mouse '/dev/mouse
> > not needed'... is the error to be expected?  If not, what must
> > I recompile?
> >

> Note that MAKEDEV on the Hurd is just a script that calls
> settrans with the right options.  If you try to settrans and you
> get a "file not found", just do a "mkdir /dev/mouse" first,
> then settrans the mouse.  This should probably be done automatically
> in the upcoming Hurd *.deb packages.

I used touch, I guess it is the same, and now the mouse in X moves but
totally without control...

> > Anyway, the real trouble came later: I set up my XF86Config
> > file, did a startx and receives an error message saying something like
> > 'xauth: libXmu.so.6 not found'
> >
> > (about 8 lines of the same error)
> >
> > I will look in the Packages to see in which one is LibXmu
> > installed.... but since I installed just about every one I wonder...
> >

> I had this problem, too.  It's because I forgot that the Hurd does
> not use ld.so.conf like Linux does.  We must include the X11R6
> directories in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.
>
> Do the following:
>
> 1.  In your ~/.bashrc add a line like:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/X11R6/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> 2.  Exit and log back in.
>
> This will add X's libraries to your shell's library search path.
> All will work properly afterward.

Done that, thanks a lot, it solved the problem.

> > Oh, and I sometimes get a 'default pager error: dumping
> > blablabla', that keeps appearing in my screen (like a $yes)
> > and I have to reboot the system, sometimes with the reset button)
> >

> Yes.  There are still some memory leaks/paging problems.  Just
> increase your swap partition size (or create a large swapfile).
> Things may seem bad now, but you should have tried the hurd a
> year ago ;-)

Ehe, I can imagine... I always wanted to try GNU/Hurd, even in the
time when it was only a tarball ar gnu.org, but I had a ppp connection
with high rates ($$$ rates, not bauds :)); now I'm getting even.

> Good luck,

Thanks.

Frederico S. Muñoz
fsmunoz@sdf.lonestar.org