Re: XFree, an on-going story (plus a newbie question)

"Stephen R. Gore" <sgore@debian.org> writes:

> Actually, my problem is getting HURD booting atm.  Using the tarball install,
> and following the easy guide instructions verbatim (I'm using /dev/hdb1,
> just as in the guide),  gnumach seems to boot fine, but hangs immediately
> after "FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077".
>
> I thought that perhaps the problem was that eth0 and USB0/1 share an IRQ,
> but I get the same problem after disabling USB in the BIOS.
>
> Input/advice appreciated.

That was *exactly* my problem, and the reason I first joined the
mailing list!!!

If you check the archives (I reported it about a week or so ago) you
will be able to see the path I took to solve it; I will nonetheless
state them here , perhaps it will be helpful...

I did get that error and I was advised that it could be a IRQ sharing
problem or a gnumach-related one (and also one derived from the fact
that I didn't gave the sparse_super option when making the fs).

The irq road led nowhere since I didn't had any irq sharing... it also
could be the usb with the scanner...

Anyway, it was the NIC; I had a SiS900 net card - not supported - and
it apparently made gnumach crash - perhaps because gnumach detected a
NIC and attempeted either to identify it or to use a wrong driver. I
recompiled gnumach without any NIC driver and it worked just fine! I
have swaped the NIC's of my computers to have a Realtek on this one,
so now I have GNU with net and have installed most debian packages
from debian.org with dselect - although several of them have
dependencies broken and refuse to install.

Anyway, this was the solution to my problem, I hope it can help.

By the way: I would be very happy to be able to help with *anything*
regarding the development of GNU/Hurd... I'm not a programmer, I can
program in C but only in a mediocre level, so I would be very happy if
any of you great hackers could give me some pointers on what to do to
be useful... like testing, detecting bugs, trying to compile,
translating, making web pages, whatever... I just need a start with
more or less clear instructions (eg You will debug Xyz: you will run
it, see if it crashes, if it does you go and make printk in specific
areas to see where, then you blablabla....).

Best Regards,

Frederico S. Muñoz
fsmunoz@lonestar.org