Boot problem (was Re: XFree, an on-going story (plus a newbie question))

(Starting a new thread for clarity's sake)

Steve Bowman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 09:52:14AM -0500, Stephen R. Gore wrote:
> > Hello,
> >  [snip]
> > Actually, my problem is getting HURD booting atm.  Using the tarball install,
> > and following the easy guide instructions verbatim (I'm using /dev/hdb1,
> > just as in the guide),  gnumach seems to boot fine, but hangs immediately
> > after "FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077".
> >
> > I thought that perhaps the problem was that eth0 and USB0/1 share an IRQ,
> > but I get the same problem after disabling USB in the BIOS.
>
> I ran into somethink like this last weekend.  I thought disabling the USB
> controller it in the BIOS would resolve the conflict.  It wasn't enough.
> If you see that linux assigns an irq to the USB controller, even though
> the BIOS doesn't (look in, say, /proc/pci) and if you see a conflict
> there (i.e., shared irq), well, there you go.  I thought disabling the
> USB controller in the BIOS would resolve my problem, but it didn't
> and I beat my head against the wall for awhile until board-swapping
> eventually resolved the conflict.  Evidently the hurd irq assignment is
> very similar to linux's so if you can see the conflict in linux, then
> it probably exists in hurd.  See debian-hurd.d.o archive ("New Install"
> thread) for more details and maybe for other things to try.

Ok, I disabled USB in the BIOS and checked under Linux.  Linux was not
assigning an IRQ to it.  Went ahead and did some board swapping, and now
there are no shared IRQs.  Still no joy.

sgore@leviathan:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
0:     245158          XT-PIC  timer
1:       7276          XT-PIC  keyboard
2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
5:      17652          XT-PIC  eth0
7:          1          XT-PIC  parport0
8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
9:         26          XT-PIC  usb-uhci
10:       213          XT-PIC  via82cxxx
12:     42521          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
13:         1          XT-PIC  fpu
14:     10387          XT-PIC  ide0
15:         2          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:        0
ERR:        0

My HURD partition is on dev/hdb1.  I've followed the steps in the Easy Guide
verbatim, for the tarball install.  Booting GRUB from floppy.

root=(hd1,0)
kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd1s1 -s
module-/boot/serverboot.gz
boot

The box is an Athlon 500, on an Asus K7M mobo.  There was a problem with
linux kernel 2.0.x and Athlons.  Is it possible that the MACH has the same
issue?

Regards,
Steve