Re: XFree, an on-going story (plus a newbie question)

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 09:52:14AM -0500, Stephen R. Gore wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm the new X 3.3.6 maint

Hi Stephen, welcome to the Hurd ;)

> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > http://bugs.debian.org/72135
> > http://bugs.debian.org/72041
>
> I'll look into getting these patches into woody X 3.3.6.  (but see the ps.)
> As far as submitting upstream, it seems there is little interest in 3.3.6
> development there atm.  We'll see..

Thanks a lot. If upstream is not interested, the Debian source is fine. We
will have to attack 4.0 for upstream, it seems.

> Until I've uploaded 3.3.6-11, you might consider CCing me on bug reports.
> (I'm not going to make everybody upgrade X, just to do a maint change.)

Okay. There might be a few, but basically, I got it to work (without
-DUNIXCON) by not using startx but xinit (when UNIXCON works, I hope that
startx will be okay, but maybe there are some xauth issues).

> > As soon as I got unix domain socket support working, I am happy to upload
> > packages to alpha.gnu.org. Bya dding streamdev to the hurd package, we can
> > get a working mouse device (I think. The output of streamdev mouse is in a
> > strange format, maybe we can fix this in gnumach). What is not working for
> > me is the keyboard driver kbd, or the translation by X. I get lots of
> > strange and wrong characters when typing in an xterm.
> >
> > People who were interested in working on X, but didn't know where to start,
> > should have sufficient information now.
>
> Actually, my problem is getting HURD booting atm.  Using the tarball install,
> and following the easy guide instructions verbatim (I'm using /dev/hdb1,
> just as in the guide),  gnumach seems to boot fine, but hangs immediately
> after "FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077".

We will try our best to help you. A hang at this early start usually is a
hardware problem, so:

> I thought that perhaps the problem was that eth0 and USB0/1 share an IRQ,
> but I get the same problem after disabling USB in the BIOS.

... this is a good start. Maybe there are some more conflicts, or hardware
where gnumach support is buggy. We need more info to make a suggestion.

> ps:  XFree86-1 (3.3.6) will soon be gutted. It will only provide support
>      for hardware not supported by X4, and for libc5 compatibility.  I'm
>      also in the process of pruning the upstream source tree, to remove the
>      code that will no longer be used.  The potato package won't be subject
>      to this, of course.  Will this sabotage the HURD effort?

Yes, completely and entirely. I don't know of anybody working on 4.0
(although probably there is a pioneer somewhere out there), and I am
certainly not touching the Debian packages of 4.0 until I got 3.3.6 working,
which is hard enough, but with guaranteed success (we already know 3.3.6 an
be made to work, that's our motivation).

I don't mind if nobody takes care of xfree86-1-3.3.6 anymore, I will happily
make NMU's or take over to keep it up to date for us once it is insignificant
for the linux folks. I certainly don't want linux people to take huge efforts for
the Hurd. But pruning the source three is certainly a terrible idea from our
perspective. It would mean I have to fork it, and probably keep it off the
debian servers.

Also, the build system needs to remain intact, as we need all packages of
it for now.

Please let me know if you think that this is not feasible for the xfree86-1
package. I would have to rethink my strategy.