Re: XFree, an on-going story (plus a newbie question)

(I'm starting a new thread for my boot problem, for clarity's sake.)

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > ps:  XFree86-1 (3.3.6) will soon be gutted. It will only provide support
> >      for hardware not supported by X4, and for libc5 compatibility.  I'm
> >      also in the process of pruning the upstream source tree, to remove the
> >      code that will no longer be used.  The potato package won't be subject
> >      to this, of course.  Will this sabotage the HURD effort?
>
> Yes, completely and entirely. I don't know of anybody working on 4.0
> (although probably there is a pioneer somewhere out there), and I am
> certainly not touching the Debian packages of 4.0 until I got 3.3.6 working,
> which is hard enough, but with guaranteed success (we already know 3.3.6 an
> be made to work, that's our motivation).
>
> I don't mind if nobody takes care of xfree86-1-3.3.6 anymore, I will happily
> make NMU's or take over to keep it up to date for us once it is insignificant
> for the linux folks. I certainly don't want linux people to take huge efforts for
> the Hurd. But pruning the source three is certainly a terrible idea from our
> perspective. It would mean I have to fork it, and probably keep it off the
> debian servers.
>
> Also, the build system needs to remain intact, as we need all packages of
> it for now.
>
> Please let me know if you think that this is not feasible for the xfree86-1
> package. I would have to rethink my strategy.

I think it's quite feasible.  The only reason I felt it desirable to prune
the source tree was that most of it would be totally unused.  This is not
the case, obviously.

In fact, it makes my job easier at present :)  Simply turning off parts of
the build process is much simpler than identifying what files are no longer
used.  We can simply turn them back on again in the HURD build.

So, unless there are valid objections (which I don't foresee), I'll plan to
leave the entire 3.3.6 tree intact.  At least until there is a viable X4
for HURD.

Regards,
Steve