Re: A new install guide

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Matthew Vernon wrote:

> Philip Charles writes:

>  > I am hoping to have another version of the CD out next week.  I would
>  > imagine that an installation CD will be the method used by a good
>  > percentage of Hurd newbies so a simple guide is needed.
>
> OK - a prelimary version can be found as
> http://www.pick.ucam.org/~mcv21/hurd.txt
>
> Once I've made a texinfo version, I can provide a "real" version. I'm
> not sure exactly what's on the CD, so if you'd like to provide a patch
> to deal with the CD install... (alternatively, provide me with an iso
> image, and I'll try and burn one here)

imho it would be more efficient for me to write a "cook-book" which takes
people up to the point where they have the tarball installed.  Then your
guide picks up at the reboot, mounting the CD-ROM and getting dselect, apt
or whatever working from the CD.  I am not a Hurd hacker as such, but a CD
butcher.  It is on the cards that I will be making a few changes to the CD
structure over the next month or so which will need to be documented.

Could there be a little more detail about the Grub and Hurd disk/partition
naming schemes?  As a complete Hurd newbie I thought I understood them and
got lost.

I am limited to a dialup modem for uploads and have yet to locate a local
site where I can run along with a couple of discs and ask them to put them
on their ftp server.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818