Re: Problem solved!

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 12:48:50AM +0530, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> 	Thanks for all the help folks!  I recompiled gnumach and Hurd
> now boots fine without me touching my hardware.

Now, can you go and enable all network cards and insert printk() statement
s to see where exactly it hangs? Then we could fix the real problem.

> (2) Download gnumach-1.2.tar.gz and gnumach_1.2-5.diff.gz from
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/base/
> You can get it from your favourite mirror too.
>
> (3) $ tar xvzf gnumach-1.2.tar.gz
>
> (4) $ gzip -cd gnumach_1.2-5.diff.gz | patch -p0

If you also get the gnumach*dsc file, you can use dpkg-source -x gnumach*dsc

> 	Also my original problem had nothing to do with IRQ sharing.
> As James Morrison had said, it was an ethernet card detection problem.

Some other ethernet driver is hanging. In

linux/dev/drivers/net/Space.c

you can add printk's to the autoprobe like this:

#if defined(CONFIG_NE2000)
        && ne_probe(dev)
#endif
#ifdef CONFIG_AT1500
        && (printk("X") || 1) && at1500_probe(dev)
#endif
#ifdef CONFIG_FMV18X            /* Fujitsu FMV-181/182 */
        && (printk("X") || 1) && fmv18x_probe(dev)
#endif

etc.

You only need to put them after NE2000, because this card is recognized.

Then you count the X and know in which autoprobe it hangs. Voila.
Of course, you need to compile with all network cards.

> 	Is there a Hurd FAQ?  Maybe the above instructions could go
> there?

Sorry, but we should try to fix the problem. A work around is useful, but
only as much as it helps to identify the real problem.