Re: Problem solved! - sort of. (was Re: kernel halts during first boot)

>> From: Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu@aero.iitm.ernet.in>
>>
>> hi,

>>     Me> I encountered this problem once.  It was when my pnp ne2000
>>     Me> was enabled.  I think after scsi it tries to detect the
>>     Me> network cards, if one is enabled that doesn't match the 3com
>>     Me> drivers that are in the kernel it stops.
>>
>>     Me> So the solution i have heard around here is to remove all
>>     Me> excess cards, and to try it again.
>>
>> 	You are absolutely right.  I have an NE2000 ISA card that uses
>> IRQ 5.  I removed the card and Hurd booted cleanly.  So I have the
>> hurd up and running.  :) Thanks.
>>
>> 	But, it isnt any fun without a network card.  Besides I cant
>> do too much without the network.  Is there a solution for this NE2000
>> problem?

 Off hand, it sounds like an IRQ conflict type of problem.
 If it was me, I'ld dink with the card settings, under whatever system
 works, re-install the card with different settings, and get Hurd to boot
 with the card in place, whether it works or not, then proceed to find
 card settings that do work.

 IRQ sharing is real easy in MSFT systems, a bit more difficult in Linux,
 and according to rumor, not possible at all with HURD.
 ( though that remains to be proven. My scsi problem prevents me from
 doing much, and it's been a crazy year for me otherwise )

--
Cowboy

A sequel is an admission that you've been reduced to imitating yourself.
		-- Don Marquis