Re: Linux drivers in gnumach

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 11:30:59AM -0700, Ron Farrer wrote:
> What's the deal with the Linux drivers in gnumach. They are from
> 2.0.36... is there a reason why they are not updated to something a bit
> less dusty?

Okuji gave all the right answers for that. With little variations, the same
reasons apply to me and probably everyone else around here.

> I'm part of the group porting gnumach/hurd to the Alpha. We want to use
> newer Linux drivers because in 2.2.x series there is a LOT of
> improvement over 2.0.x on Alpha. Not to meantion 2.0.x doesn't support
> (half?) as many systems as 2.2.x does.

If you don't need to change the glue code alot (in other words: If the
interfaces didn't change much), you can use whatever versions work for you.

If there are interface changes, you will probably have to rework the glue
code, and then we have to decide if we want to jump the gun and update the
i386 drivers, too, which nobody wants to do (especially as oskit-mach
already has newer ones).

Can you port oskit-mach to alpha? This would probably more straightforward
and more helpful in the long run, too.