Re: rc

Okay, the revised list..

# >     * Started
# >     * Stopped

# Not sure if paused, stopping and starting bring us much.

I'm not entirely sure what I decided 'paused' was for. As you say, it's
usefulness is rather limited - I've opted to nuke that one from the list.

# Also starting and stopping can be probably internal to init.

This was the intention (I included it in the list for completenes)

# >      * Start
# >      * Stop
# >      * Pause
# >      * Restart (= unpause ?)
# reload-config and real restart (= stop & start) might be useful actions.

I meant 'restart' as a stop/start - start would do an 'unpause'. That
issue's moot now, though. A reload-config would be useful, giving us:

 * Start
 * Stop
 * Restart
 * Reload

# Circular dependencies are bad.
# Probably can do without.

Yes - everyone makes mistakes, though - and if protection against this
sort of thing is easy enough to do, I don't see why it shouldn't be
included. (If anybody really wanted to do a circular dependency, they can
hack the sources to allow it - I hope to God they don't, though :>)

# Also we will probably need start-a-before-b relation
# (gpm should be tarted before X, but X don't depend on gpm nor gpm on X)

I *think* I follow this. I take it this would only ever come into play if
two services are going to be started at the same runlevel? (I can't see
why it'd be necessary otherwise).

i.e...

graphical = X gpm xfs ...

We say:

X [depends on] xfs
gpm [start before] X

Then..

$ init graphical
INIT: Switching to runlevel 'graphical'
Starting gpm...
Starting xfs...
Starting X...

Have I got that right?

# And we'll probably also need reversed is-part-of relation
# (all mounts can be-part-of virtual filesystem,
#  and some package can depend on complete filesystem to be done)

If I've got this right, something like:

foo [depends on] bar
baz [is part of] bar

$ svc start exportfs
Starting baz...
Starting bar...
Starting foo...

# Oh, and conflicts wolud be useful, if you want to test two wob/ftp/*-servers
# etc.

Something like..

foo [conflicts with] bar

$ svc foo start
svc: foo conflicts with bar, which is running.

--
Mo McKinlay             Chief Software Architect          inter/open Labs
GnuPG Key: pub  1024D/76A275F9 2000-07-22 Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay@gnu.org>