Re: disk map

   Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:08:46 +0200
   From: Juli-Manel Merino Vidal <jmmv@mail.com>

   Hi all,

   I've been reading (a bit) the source code of the ext2fs... Why it maps
   the entire filesystem into vm ?

Because that's convenient? :-)

   Somebody told me here that this way the filesystem can't be bigger
   than 1GB. But this only applies to the root filesystem, isn't it ?
   I've mounted a bigger partition and works fine. Why?

The exact amount depends on how large the largest free continuous
block of VM is when the filesystem tries to map the disk.  This might
be different for ext2fs.static (which is used for the root filesystem)
than for the dynamically linked ext2fs that you probably use for other
partitions.  Apart from that there are no real differences.

Mark