Re: FAT fs

Am Fre, 04 Aug 2000 14:51:34 Juli-Manel Merino Vidal Sie:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it there a FAT translator in order to use dos filesystems int the
> Hurd ? I think that there is not any of this out there, but anybody is
> working on this ?

I wrote a fatfs which can read FAT12/16/32. It does not support long
filenames,
and it does not support writing to FAT filesystems yet. I worked on
write
support, but because FAT is an inodeless fs (all meta info is stored
in the directory entry), it is not easy to fit it into the rich
semantics
of the Hurd libraries without deadlocks. I will continue to work at it
later,
maybe in a couple of weeks (currently, more pressing things are on my
TODO
list).

You can find my fatfs at
http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/fatfs/fatfs-0.1.tar.g

(first hit with google search "fatfs" :)

I can make available my development version, which can write to files
(but not create new directory entries :) and deadlocks pretty fast.
It is much more advanced than 0.1, but just doesn't work yet.

To get all features, try mtools (there is a debian package for the
Hurd).