Re: Developer coming up ;-)

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 03:51:42AM +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
> > > I tried to build the latest binutils (with
> > > dpkg-buildpackage). Everything worked out fine, but the created .debs
> > > are architecture 'i386' instead of 'hurd-i386'. Anybody knows what's
> > > going on? Otherwise I'll have to use stow instead of dpkg.
> >
> > Uh. First, which version of dpkg are you using. Second, are you compiling
> > under Hurd or cross compiling under Linux? How did you build (exact
> > command?)
> >
> I was doing a native compile using the latest dpkg (downloaded like 3
> days ago), but I've got that going: it's a bug/feature of the HURD
> dpkg: ever tried dpkg --print-architecture?

You are still not telling me which command you used to build the package.

dpkg-buildpackage -B "-mMarcus Brinkmann <brinkmd@debian.org>"

works fine and sets the make variables correctly for the hurd.

> On my machine it warns me that 'i386 is not in the remapping table'
> (for whatever that means) and then says i386.

dpkg --print-architecture never made any sense to anyone. It's stupid crap.
Don't use it. Run away when you see it :)

> I fixed that by passing DEB_HOST_ARCH (or something like that) as
> environment/make variable.

This is the correct way to do it. use dpkg-buildpackage for your
convenience.

> As a result I have (unsigned :-/)

pgp is in nonus.

> packages of the latest binutils
> around, which installed without a complaint and looked fine in my
> later compilation attempt of gcc. (What a beast! Next time I try a
> full compile I will have to 'time'.)
>
> On the gcc compile (also attemting to build the package), it choked in
> libobjc, missing gc.h and the like. I think I figured out that one
> needs libgc, which seems not to be ported. I will try disabling ObjC
> GC on the next HURD reboot.

Yes. Send me your patches that were needed to compile gcc, please.

> As usual, some questions:
>
> I noticed the HURD beeing much slower on the builds. I have a machine
> with > 160MB RAM and a K6-3 400MHz (if that's of any concern). And
> have added >= 200MB swapspace. Can I do something about it?

You can buy a faster machine :)  You could implement profiling for the Hurd
in glibc, and then we can profile the Hurd and make optimization decisions.

> Are there any tools like top, ps, and stuff for the HURD?

There is ps provided by the Hurd package. There are several more tools,
check it (dpkg -L hurd) notably vmstat and alike.

A top tool is not available.