Re: Hurd file system

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 06:45:16PM +0200, Lars Roland wrote:
> Hi I am normally working on the JFS project (Journaled File System Technology for Linux)
>
>         http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jfs/index.html
>
> but in my spare time I have made an port of the JFS to Hurd
> (it is not that good and I need help).

We are happy to answer your questions wrt filesystems on the hurd, and we
will also be happy to review your code as time allows.

> before i start working heavily with it I would like to her some
> other opinions about the project, does it have a future ?...

Of course, if jfs has a future, that is :) The more filesystem drivers there
are for the Hurd, the better, especially for such modern filesystems as jfs
is.

> should we make our one file system or should we just take ext2 in to the
> next millennium.

The will probably a Hurd filesystem at some time in the future, and ext2
will be the default fs for the foreseeable future. Neither should stop you
from working on jfs on the Hurd, though.

I know that a lot of people want a journalling file system for the Hurd
(questions for it appear frequently on the hurd lists).