Re: shadowfs

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 10:27:03AM +0200, Stefan Karrmann wrote:
> Am Fri, May 12, 2000 at 08:02:17PM +0200 schrieb Norbert Nemec:
> > * What about deletion of files? If I have a read-only base filesystem and a
> >   read-write filesystem mounted on top of it, the result should behave just
> >   like a ordinary read-write system. So I should be able to delete files and
> >   directories. How should that be marked in a straight-forward way?
>
> It should behave like a ordinary read-write system. If you delete a file or
> directory, you have to make a copy of the parent directory on the read-write
> system with the deleted entry removed. Well, the new directory should notice
> any creations in the original one and copy them. Hmm, i.e. you have to set
> some special flags for it. How can you store them during reboots? Or is there
> another hurdish way?

I don't like that one: would go completely against the concept of merging
directories. Actually everything is clearly specified already except that
deletion of file without that copying and without any need for flags and
change-checking.

Everything we need now is a way to specify in the rw-system that a file is
deleted. Idea: create a symlink of the same name with some special content.
It simply looks like some dangling symlink without shadowfs, and shadowfs could
recognize it and know the file has been deleted.

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!