Have I messed up my Hurd

Hello,

I was trying to use dselect on the Hurd.  This was to a disk partition
as I do not have any internet connection to the Hurd here.  Must have
made a mistake and have got corrupt packages.

ii  debianutils     1.12           Miscellaneous utilities specific to
Debian.
ii  debmake         3.6.1          Debianizing Tool and automated binary
genera
iHR dejagnu         1.3-19990614-4 framework for running test suites on
softwar
ii  diff            2.7-19         File comparison utilities
ii  dpkg            1.4.1.13       Package maintenance system for Debian

I cannot remove or re-install dejagnu.  I have also got several other
packages in the same state.

If I try to delete or purge I get:

hurd:/# dpkg -r dejagnu
dpkg: error processing dejagnu (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 dejagnu
hurd:/#
hurd:/#

If I try to re-install I get:

hurd:/# dpkg -i /Debs/dejagnu_1.3-19990614-4.deb
Selecting previously deselected package dejagnu.
(Reading database ... 12869 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace dejagnu 1.3-19990614-4 (using
.../dejagnu_1.3-19990614-4.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement dejagnu ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error processing /Debs/dejagnu_1.3-19990614-4.deb (--install):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 /Debs/dejagnu_1.3-19990614-4.deb
hurd:/#

Am going round in circles.  Have tried /sbin/clean-info.  Have also run
dpkg -r on the suspect packages; then run dpkg --configure --pending,
this does not error.  But after a reboot I still cannot either delete or
re-install packages.

If this error recoverable or must I revert to the tar ball and set
everything up again?

Chris