Re: Have I messed up my Hurd

Chris Lingard <chris@highludworth.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Unpacking replacement dejagnu ...
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: error processing /Debs/dejagnu_1.3-19990614-4.deb (--install):
>  subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1

You could temporarily make [/usr]/sbin/install-info a link to
/bin/true; then this error wouldn't occur and you could reinstall
and then remove the package.

Your /info/dir might need manual fixing after that, though.

I wonder why you got this problem in the first place.  The
install-info I have on the Hurd comes from the dpkg package and
doesn't even contain the error message you got.  Have you
installed some other version?

> If this error recoverable or must I revert to the tar ball and set
> everything up again?

Don't panic.  :-)