Re: Hurd on VMware ?

>> From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

>> > True, that is a disadvantage - but as long as we do not get dependent on it
>> > in any way - why not make use of it? For the moment it is just a matter of
>> > comfort: Some people buy two computers to create a network for the hurd,
>> > why should not others buy a second "virtual" computer for the same
>> > purpose?
>>
>> I don't want to start a philosophical discussion, but working with and free
>> software is only barely related to convenience for me.

 I don't think I understand, but agree with not getting into philosophy.

>> > As soon as we have solved this problem and many others like the hurd
>> > console and the X-Servers under hurd, there will be no reason to use
>> > VMware any more (except for people who do real work on the kernel and
>> > have plenty of crashes every day...)
>>
>> I think that there will always be people who will pull the convenience
>> argument. "Just this little piece of non-free software until there is a free
>> replacement". There is always a further little piece of convenient non-free
>> software out there that might be desireable to some.

 My position is entirely different.
 It's not simply a matter of convienience.

 I own a license for VMware, which is far from "free".
 I'm legally entitled to use it, and have no intention of replacing it.
 I intend to quit using it with the Hurd, as soon as the problem preventing
 a true scsi boot is resolved.
 In the mean time, this is one of the reasons I bought it.

>> However, I really don't care very much if you use some non-free software or
>> not. I just wanted to point it out to those who might wonder why VMWare is
>> not widely advocated if it is such a cool thing.

 It's a very cool thing, IF you have reason to purchase, as are many things,
 such as a Microsoft system, in its place.

 If there is some problem with using a legit purchased tool in the pursuit of
 this, or any, free project, then I'm mis-informed, and perhaps I need an update
 on what's acceptable, and what's not.

 If I'm out of line, it's due to ignorance, not malice.   :-)

--
Cowboy

Make headway at work.  Continue to let things deteriorate at home.