Mach Kernels

What is the big advantage of using a mach microkernel?  Is it used
because the developers didn't want to reinvent the wheel and thus chose
to use a preexisting platform from which to begin a new os?
Or is it because it has special stability features?  I know the hurd is
said to be crash-proof.  And apple's new os x runs on a mach kernel,
doesn't it?  They claim it is crash-proof.  Are they doing a similar
thing with os x as the hurd?
Just a few curious musings.
--
R Joseph Wright

*I merely took the energy it takes to pout
and wrote some blues --Duke Ellington*