Installing Hurd from the .debs

I just had to reinstall the Hurd because I was just getting too many fs
corruption problems with the previous installation. I d/led the latest
versions of all the required packages (and some more to make a  development
system). Then I used cross-install, so far everything went ok.
However the first time that I rebooted I found that:
1) /boot/servers.boot was missing instead there wasonly
/boot/servers.boot.dpkg-new
2) /servers/exec was missing, apparently ext2fs.static needs this node to
exist to run, other wise it gives a file not found error.
3) /libexec/runsystem was missing, only /libexec/runsystem.gnu was there.
4) there was no /bin/perl executable (only /bin/perl5.00...) so native-install
failed at some point.

I think 2) and 3) are very important since those errors do not allow Hurd to
boot properly (a freeze or never get to a shell). They should be fixed to
allow fresh installations using cross-install.

What I finally did is use an old (19991025) tarball and then cross-install the
.debs on top because I didn't want to correct all the errors by hand.

Igor