Re: trivfs

Hi,

I apolgize for the bad message but it appers that ispell can work
against you at 3 in the morning ;).

Anyhoo:

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 06:02:16AM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > translator. However, I am having problems getting the waiting side
> > of it to work in doing so, I have made several observations:
>
> Do you mean "writing side"?
Yes

> > If any of the /src/hurd/libtrivfs/* routines get called and abort
> > because the function does not exist, the translator can never
> > be removed (either via -g or --fg).
>
> Just kill the translator process.
>
> > If another operation occurs on the translator, the whole system hangs and
> > requires a reboot (note: I am not root).
>
> It is very hard for me to judge what is in fact happening when you say "the
> whole system hangs".  There are just too many things that you could mean by
> this and too many ways you could be misconstruing whatever you are seeing.
>
> > If the translator enters an infinite root, because for instance the
> > amount_written in trivfs_io_write is always (incorrectly) returned
> > as 0 (if the translator keeps telling the callee that the call failed),
> > the system hangs again.
>
> What is an infinite root?  Do you mean an infinite loop?
Correct again.

Here is an actual dump of what happens:

Shell 1:
neal@hurd:~/test $ settrans -ac tt trivial_translator
neal@hurd:~/test $ echo "foo" > tt
neal@hurd:~/test $ settrans -g tt
Hang!

Shell 2:
neal@hurd:~ $ kill 52
Hang!

No contorl c, no control z.

Shell 3:
I had an extra terminal open this time and was able to
kill the login shells and then:
neal@hurd:~ $ kill -9 52
neal@hurd:~ $

> > If I attach to a translator with gdb, I get a message press return to
> > continue or q to quit and then it just hangs.  What is the correct way
> > to debug a translator.
>
> You have not given enough detail about the situation to judge.  As a rule,
> always include the actual output from a program that you are trying to use,
> rather than paraphrasing or otherwise characterizing what you saw.
neal@hurd:~/test $ gdb trivial_translator 52
GNU gdb 19990928
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-gnu0.2"...
(no debugging symbols found)...

/home/neal/test/52: No such file or directory.
Attaching to program `/home/neal/test/trivial_translator', pid 52
Reading symbols from /lib/libtrivfs.so.0.2...(no debugging symbols found)...
done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libfshelp.so.0.2...(no debugging symbols found)...
done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.0.2...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libiohelp.so.0.2...(no debugging symbols found)...
done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libports.so.0.2...(no debugging symbols found)...
done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libshouldbeinlibc.so.0.2...
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libthreads.so.0.2...(no debugging symbols found)...
done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld.so...done.

[1]+  Stopped                 gdb trivial_translator 52
neal@hurd:~/test $ fg
gdb trivial_translator 52
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

GDB does not resond to either a return, a `q', a control c or
control z; It must be killed from another shell.

> No offense intended, but if you already knew which observable details
> mattered, you wouldn't have to ask us for help, so assume you don't know.

No offense taken.  Not only do I assume that I don't know, I know
that I have no clue ;).

I hope this was a bit clearer.

-Neal

Neal Walfield                                              neal@walfield.org
UMass Lowell - Fox 1512                                  Phone: 978-934-5347
                                                           Fax: 603-415-3645
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
                -- H. L. Mencken