Re: attention: file corruption, diagnose program

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 11:38:42PM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> Ack!  Corruption when only reading is certainly an unpleasant situation.
> Are you sure that prior writes had been sync'd and it was the reading doing
> it?

I had one case now where I could actually verify that this explains what I
was seeing.

I was compiling a deb package, and the md5sum in the changes file did not
match the md5sum of the file after rebooting to linux. And indeed there was
a hole in the deb file.

Now the question is if after a sync the hole could be seen. I don't know for
sure but I think so.

Creating big tar files or libraries seems to be a good way to reproduce this
bug.