Re: Mach microkernel development - porting to Alpha

   Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:06:51 +0200
   From: Erik Verbruggen <ejv@cs.kun.nl>

   On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 01:09:29AM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
   > Shaun Cloherty <s.cloherty@gsbme.unsw.edu.au> writes:

   > Search the net for fiasco (altavista for example). The first few
   > matches should point you to the right pages. Look for a link to ports
   > of the microkernel and esspecially for alpha. Theres a port that could
   > be very usefull for a debian-hurd-alpha project.

   So you suggest using an existing microkernel for Hurd on the Alpha in
   stead of porting GnuMach? Why so? GnuMach has the advantage of having
   many device drivers and the Alpha uses much the same hardware as x86
   machines.

Running the Hurd on top of L4 will not be possible without a
considerable amount of work.  It would be an interesting though that
could benefit other architectures.  I believe there once was an alpha
port of the Mach microkernel, but AFAIK it has never been released to the
public.

Mark