Re: Easy Guide / new tarball

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> > Apart from that things are working fine.
>
> Thanks for testing!

Well thanks for tarring!  but I may have spoken too soon... though
this probably has nothing to do with the tarball per se.  I'm trying
to build perl with debugging support.  After maybe an hour of
compiling, the foreground process freezes.  It does not generally
happen in the same place.  At that point, root can run

    # ps

in another window and see its own processes, but

    # ps A

(which would show the crashed process) does nothing.  It is
interruptible by ^C.  Then the system gradually becomes unusable.  At
one point I would run

    $ gdb

and it would background itself with (if I remember right) a SEGV.  But
now, having recently booted, my gdb processes behave like normal.

I was getting into the habit of booting, fixing the build partition,
restarting make, waiting for the crash, and rebooting, but then the
crash happened once during the shutdown sequence, and I became
discouraged.  :-(  Now it's happened twice in a row on POSIX.c (the
biggest C file), so I'm not too hopeful of finishing this.

Is this normal Hurd behavior these days?  I would try to debug it, but
I don't think my chances of success are worth the effort of building a
debuggable Hurd at the rate I'm going.  When's that hurd-dbg coming,
Marcus?  ;-)

btw, I saw a failed assertion in libdiskfs about an unexpected fault,
and just now I saw 50 or so like this:

   memory_object_data_request(0x0, 0x0, 0x17000, 0x1000, 0x1) failed, 268435459
                                        ^^^^^^^ only this varies

-John