Re: Easy Guide / new tarball

>     # ps
>
> in another window and see its own processes, but
>
>     # ps A
>
> (which would show the crashed process) does nothing.  It is
> interruptible by ^C.

Use `ps -MA'.  The -M flag avoids messages to processes' message ports,
which can hang if things are in a bad state.  (You will see less
information this way.)

> Is this normal Hurd behavior these days?

Many people are seeing lossage like this.  I have not seen it myself so as
to attempt to debug it.

> btw, I saw a failed assertion in libdiskfs about an unexpected fault,

Tell us what it said!!

> and just now I saw 50 or so like this:
>
>    memory_object_data_request(0x0, 0x0, 0x17000, 0x1000, 0x1) failed, 268435459
>                                         ^^^^^^^ only this varies

These messages (from the kernel) are normal fallout from an external pager
dying (the filesystem servers are external pagers).  So whatever you saw
before this is most likely the interesting part.