Re: Request for help - my computer 'bought the farm'

>   I've been trying to compile Guile on the Hurd and after a few changes (see
> my earlier posting about poking inside FILE *s) it compiles.  However, after
> touching build-stamp the computer dies with messages about: [unfortunately this
> is only an approximate transcription, I don't have any way to save the actual
> message]
>
> (default-pager): refusing paging request because of previous errors
> ... [repeated lots of times] ...
> *** [Error 2] Computer bought the farm
> make: [Error 2] Computer bought the farm

Whenever you see any "(default pager): " messages, stop and investigate
right away.  That error "... because of previous paging errors" should come
only after some previous errors from the default pager.  (Most likely from
running out of swap).

>   It looks like this has something to do with the pager but I can't find the
> previous errors it refers to (since the Mach console doesn't have
> backscrolling..maybe I could try piping the compile through less..)

Unfortunately, those messages from the default pager go directly to the
console device, not through the terminal driver or anything else you can
catch.

> It may help to mention that my computer doesn't have swap space under the
> Hurd due to the fact that I can't get it to recognize my Linux swap
> partition.

Indeed, having no swap is no doubt the problem.  Please report the details
of your problem with swap.  I believe the current Hurd handles Linux 2.0
and 2.2 swap signature pages correctly, though I have myself only tested a
2.0 page.