Errors in hd IO, exec server, and a query about SCSI cards

I have fooled with this for some time.  I am using the Debian GNU/Hurd
packages from the ftp site, as per recommendations.  The kernal itself
seems to boot fine, but I get this error right before it starts the
exec server:

	hd12: bad access: block=28, count=2
	end_request: I/O error, dev 03:42, sector 28

However, it does go on:

	Hurd server boostrap: ext2fs.static[hd1s1] execext2fs.static:
../../libdiskfs/boot-start.c:412: diskfs_execboot_fsys_startup: Unexpected
error: No such file or directory.
	memory_object_data_request(0x0, 0x0, 0x2000, 0x1000, 0x1) failed,
268435459

I have an ugly suspicion that these are linked.  What exactly does this
mean, and does anyone have suggestions for fixing it?

Also, while detecting my disks, the kernel claims that it has 'failed to
initalized WD-700 SCSI card!' (number maybe different, I only caught it on
the fly as it shot by).  Is this autodetection, or should I disable it
somewhere?

Fred Ross, a.k.a. Sgath
http://www.ls.net/~fred/homepage/