Re: Request for help - my computer 'bought the farm'

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 11:19:41AM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> (default-pager): refusing paging request because of previous errors
> ... [repeated lots of times] ...
> *** [Error 2] Computer bought the farm
> make: [Error 2] Computer bought the farm

This is error number EIEIO and comes directly from a child's song :)

>   After make terminates the shell fails to recover and I have to do a hard
> reboot complete with lots of complaining by e2fsck.

Yeah, when you see this there is a good chance you have hosed the system.

>   It looks like this has something to do with the pager but I can't find the
> previous errors it refers to (since the Mach console doesn't have
> backscrolling..maybe I could try piping the compile through less..)  It may
> help to mention that my computer doesn't have swap space under the Hurd due
> to the fact that I can't get it to recognize my Linux swap partition.

How much memory do you have? A lot of swaps helps alot on lengthy compiles.

>   Do I just have to work out how to enable swap or is there something worse
> going on here?  [ should I maybe find the first error using 'less'? ]

More memory is a first step (and if it is swap even). If Hurd is confused by
the Swap markup from Linux (did you try the very latest Hurd? Roland did
some changes.), you can use the swap ignoring the markup. This will work,
but you need to run "mkswap" under Linux before you can use it under Linux
again (do this in the boot scripts).

You can force to ignore the markup by using $(add-raw-paging-file) in
servers.boot instead $(add-paging-file) or $(add-linux-paging-file).