Re: hurd cross-compiler?

Hi Marcus,

On  4 May, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

 > Yes, there is i386-gnu-gcc, but this is only part of the story. Of course,
 > it is a funcrional compiler, but depends on a certain version of egcs.
 > Better get the i386-gnu-gcc source and build your own version of the
 > package.

Sounds good!  I'll download the source, as you suggest.

 > However, even better to ditch this ol' stinking Windows partition that is
 > STILL laying around and install the Hurd :) Fresh packages uploaded today.

No can do I.  My machine is 100% pure Debian GNU/Linux, not to mention
the fact it used by many people now so I can't bring it down to switch
to another OS.  That's what I get for encouraging everyone to use my
Debian box instead of Solaris.  :-)

 > Native building of packages IS possible now.
 >
 > Note that setting up a cross compiler directly involves installing Hurd
 > header files and libraries, which means you should doa  hurd partition
 > anyway.

Maybe I can convince my boss to give me a machine to install the Hurd
 on. Wish me luck!

 > > I'd like to try to build Debian GNU/Hurd versions of my packages: ACE,
 > > TAO, gdk/imlib and libtool.  Considering that ACE/TAO have never been
 > > compiled for the Hurd, I thought it might be interesting. :)
 >
 > Well, libtool is binary all, so no work needed here. It is already up to
 > date automatically.

Except for libtool's `libltdl*' packages.  They are architecture
dependent.  They should be easy, however.

 > gdk/imlib will need  X devel files, right? So we have to
 > work on X first. Will be attacked soon.

Ahh good point!  KO, comes first.

 > ace also needs xlib6 I see. Mmmh.

Yes and no.  ACE can be built without X support.  The configure script
I created for ACE will disable X support if it doesn't find a usable X
library.

 > I think we have to start a discussion about X soon. X should not be a big
 > problem, but the input device hardware support bothers me.

Indeed.  Hardware is a bit over my head, I think. If I can get a Hurd
machine up, then I'll be glad to help.

 > > BTW, are the Hurd cross-compile howtos/e-mails up to date?
 >
 > Mmmmh. Difficult question. Everone who does cross compile has a working env,
 > and we don't really need it anymore (only for glibc and hurd itself).

Hmm.  I'll certainly try to get a Hurd installation going.  I think
it'd be fun to port stuff to it.

Thanks,
-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
Center for Distributed Object Computing, Washington University, St. Louis