Re: Let's talk about intermediate release...

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 09:40:14PM +0100, Farid Hajji wrote:
> > > Since I'm trying to motivate people to write new Mach- und Hurd-based
> > > software, it would be good to provide them on the same occation with a
> > > working development environment...
> [...]
> > > cross-gcc or cross-egcs packages [built for Debian/Linux]
> >
> > We already have that, it is called "gcc-i386-gnu" and cross-mig is also
> > available. It's in the i386 tree.
> Okay, good to know where they are. I had a hell of a time to get my
> cross-compile environment right...

If you use make.cross, it is relatively easy. BUT you need to have
dpkg-cross and a Debian system to cross compile Debian packages.

However, the need for cross compilation is crippeling away very soon.

> > Notice that this only works on i386.
> > > native-gcc or native-egcs packages
> >
> > egcs. I am building clean one right now :)
> At least a working native compiler. We were all waiting for it!

It was laready installed days ago, but there was a problem with float.h.

What you now need for C++ is a libc with _G_config.h in it. Gordon?

> > > Very important for developers: _sources_ for gnumach, the hurd and glibc!
> > You can just fetch them from any Debian mirror, source directory.
> I'm not very familiar with Debian but willing to learn ;)

Debian packages are under

ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/

> > > Could an intermediate release be ready by March 1st for the GUUG CD-ROM?
> > Probably not, but you can do it yourself (we would not do a CD anyway).
> That's okay. I'm planning to submit:
>   * sources for mach, lites and the hurd (and glibc of course)
>   * as much documentation I can find (or course including the idiot's guide)
>   * a useful subset of packages to get a working development environment
>     including egcs, gdb, editors, ...
>   * the tutorial slides and texts

Great. The most important part is the set of packages. If you can send me
a list of all packages which you want to install, I can critique it (remove
broken packages, adding necessary packages).

> > I will try to help you in any way I can. First, make sure you mirror the
> > hurd-i386 tree from Debian, and parts of the source archive you want.
> I'm looking for suggestions from Hurd users about a small but
> usable _development_ environment. I'd prefer to keep the system
> small but functional, with the option to add natively more
> packages once they're needed.

Yeah, that's why we use Debian :)

> > You probably want to make a huge tar file for installation. Get the
> > cross-install native-install dpkg-hurd scripts. Get the idiot's guide.
> I've tried your big tarball and the {cross,native}-install and dpkg-hurd
> scripts. Adding more packages with native dpkg was possible too.

Great, so you are already familiar with them. That will make it easy for us
to cooperate. Just ask questions :)

> > Then, try use the scripts. If you have questions, come back to me. Please
> > understand that I can't do the work for you, as I have little knowledge
> > about preparing a useful CD, and other work is more important, but I will
> > help you with the problems.
> Oh thanks! I fully understand that we're not ready yet for a real release.
> It's, as you mentioned, just an intermediate snapshot to help interested
> people get started.

You're welcome.