Re: Let's talk about intermediate release...

Hi Marcus!

> > Since I'm trying to motivate people to write new Mach- und Hurd-based
> > software, it would be good to provide them on the same occation with a
> > working development environment...
[...]
> > cross-gcc or cross-egcs packages [built for Debian/Linux]
>
> We already have that, it is called "gcc-i386-gnu" and cross-mig is also
> available. It's in the i386 tree.
Okay, good to know where they are. I had a hell of a time to get my
cross-compile environment right...

> Notice that this only works on i386.
> > native-gcc or native-egcs packages
>
> egcs. I am building clean one right now :)
At least a working native compiler. We were all waiting for it!

> > Very important for developers: _sources_ for gnumach, the hurd and glibc!
> You can just fetch them from any Debian mirror, source directory.
I'm not very familiar with Debian but willing to learn ;)

> > > Expected time frame: two-three weeks.
> > Could an intermediate release be ready by March 1st for the GUUG CD-ROM?
> Probably not, but you can do it yourself (we would not do a CD anyway).
That's okay. I'm planning to submit:
  * sources for mach, lites and the hurd (and glibc of course)
  * as much documentation I can find (or course including the idiot's guide)
  * a useful subset of packages to get a working development environment
    including egcs, gdb, editors, ...
  * the tutorial slides and texts

> I will try to help you in any way I can. First, make sure you mirror the
> hurd-i386 tree from Debian, and parts of the source archive you want.
I'm looking for suggestions from Hurd users about a small but
usable _development_ environment. I'd prefer to keep the system
small but functional, with the option to add natively more
packages once they're needed.

> You probably want to make a huge tar file for installation. Get the
> cross-install native-install dpkg-hurd scripts. Get the idiot's guide.
I've tried your big tarball and the {cross,native}-install and dpkg-hurd
scripts. Adding more packages with native dpkg was possible too.

> Then, try use the scripts. If you have questions, come back to me. Please
> understand that I can't do the work for you, as I have little knowledge
> about preparing a useful CD, and other work is more important, but I will
> help you with the problems.
Oh thanks! I fully understand that we're not ready yet for a real release.
It's, as you mentioned, just an intermediate snapshot to help interested
people get started.

Thank you for your support,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany