Re: NFSD status.

At 08:57 PM 12/13/99 -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
>>     It would be really useful to me to be able to mount the Hurd's
>>     filesystem, given the creepy way I work.  I end up with copies of
>>     everything, and no real mechanism for maintaining consistency.
>
>FWIW, I do things the other way around: everything I modify nontrivially is
>on my development (linux) machine, and my hurd machine nfs-mounts from
>there and I just use cp -ua for copying some things over.
Actually, I do it the same way you do, I use ssh to make terminal windows
on the hurd box, so I almost never need a monitor attached to the Hurd box,
except sometimes for booting, or to see if it has completely crashed.  The
problem is that there are files which are not NFS mounted.  To see them in
Emacs I have to copy them to the NFS mounted FS and then look at them.  I
have copies of the entire /usr/include tree duplicated, for example.  Now
that I can get files NFS mounted the other way it will help alot.  I wanted
to install as little on the Hurd machine as I needed to complete the work
I had in mind.

>> 3.) I would also like to look at why the ntp4 daemon is not compiling.
>
>That would be much appreciated.
The problem with this is that there are apparently some ioctls to configure
network interface which are not implemented.  I would give you more detail,
but I am not at that machine, and I haven't looked at the error messages
in a couple of weeks.  I will look at it later on.

Of course, though it may seem hard to believe, my main interest is in writing
documentation.  This coding work is my current way of understanding enough
of the system structure to be able to write it up.  I think I've learned
a lot about how file systems are implemented, and I can start filling in the
Reference Manual about them.  The ntp4 daemon is more of an exercize in
understanding now communication with the Mach kernel works, since I will
be looking at ioctls.

Bill White <bill.white@griggsinst.com>
"There's no art to find the mind's construction in the ASCII."
Macbeth, Act I scene 1 (first draft).