RE: Newbie questions again...

> This was very surprising to me!  I did not expect GRUB to bypass
> the CDROM drive in its numbering system.  So it's not necessarily as
> simple as saying "Linux device hdc will be GRUB device (hd2)".

However, it is that simple for the Hurd/Mach devices.  What is hdc on Linux
will always be hd2 on the Hurd.

The problem area is GRUB, because it uses the BIOS to access the disks.  So
it is up to your machine's BIOS what the numbers that GRUB uses will really
mean.  Note that there is some amazing work going on in GRUB right now that
may soon radically change this picture.