RE: Newbie questions again...

> The big annoyance with that difference is that
> GRUB numbers the DOS partitions 0,1,2,3 while everyone else
> uses 1,2,3,4.

I noticed another quirk this weekend.  If I have devices mounted
like so:

ITEM                               Linux               GRUB
----                               -----               ----
Primary IDE Dr. 1                  hda                 (hd0)
part. 1                            hda1                (hd0,0)
part. 2                            hda2                (hd0,1)
etc...

Secondary IDE Dr. 1 (CD-ROM Drive) hdc                 --none--

Secondary IDE Dr. 2 (Disk)         hdd                 (hd1)
part. 1                            hdd1                (hd1,0)
part. 2                            hdd2                (hd1,1)
etc.

This was very surprising to me!  I did not expect GRUB to bypass
the CDROM drive in its numbering system.  So it's not necessarily as
simple as saying "Linux device hdc will be GRUB device (hd2)".

Anyone else have comments?

-Brent