Re: make install over the Debian package

Roland McGrath <frob@debian.org> writes:

> > So, for an able person like yourself, I can't think of any real
> > danger in doing a 'make install' over the running Hurd.
>
> Don't forget /libexec/runsystem.
>
> > I've been wondering about this myself.  Since the Hurd is in such
> > a changing state, I wonder if there is any advantage is building
> > all of our libraries and executables with debug information
> > present so that we can easily get useful information about a
> > failure without first having to rebuild all the components
> > in question.
> >
> > Anyone have an opinion?

I would like that very much for all of debian.

The only useable option in my view would be to patch the dh_strip
script to store "unstrip" infos (via xdelta for example) and make an
extra package (called xxx-dbg) out of that.

The xxx-dbg package would predepend on the exact version of the xxx
package and the postinst would patch the binaries with xdelta. The
prerm script would strip the binaries to restore the old state.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin