RE: File system corruption

On 30 Sep, Brent Fulgham wrote:
>> compile something, I get strange errors that I can only attribute to
>> corrupt data, either in memory or on disk. After I install a
>
> Igor,
>
> Could you describe the errors you are seeing?  If you are experiencing
> the same ext2fs problem I am, you will see the following:
>
> "ext2fs:  Warning:  bad type XX in directory entry: inode: YY offset: ZZ"

If you are talking about messages on the console then no, I haven't
seen those. Syslog doesn't show any such messages either. What is
happening is that somehow silently the information in memory (most
likely in cached memory since the information on the HD doesn't change)
changes, see what i wrote about my experiment with md5sum. It could
still be my RAM however i had a bad RAM chip before and it was showing
much more problems. And under linux no such problem currently exists,
both X and gcc run fine and they use loads of memory.

>> couple new packages (or maybe only one) all subsequent installation
>> attepts yeild crc errors from gzip. And at the same time ld starts spuing
>> errors when i try to compile somthing. Sometimes a reboot fixes the
> problem and
>> sometimes not.
>>
> You might find that some libraries mysteriously "disappear", which
> can cause executables to no longer function.

Nope as far as i can tell all files are stay where they should it's
their contents that get changed. From the current symptoms i would
assume something is happening between modification to files and the
actual sync'ing of the data to the HD.

> Can you tell me what kind of system you are on?  (i.e., motherboard
> type and chipset, do you have UDMA turned on, etc.)
>
> -Brent
I'm running a K6-3 400/64MB, with an Asus P5A motherboard. I'm guessing
UDMA is on by default and i didn't change many hardware or bios
settings from their default values so it should still be on.

Igor