Re: large tarball errors: 19990905

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 03:16:55PM +0200, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> The machine wouldn't boot.  The error was "panic: cannot load
> user-bootstrap image: error code 6000".  I gunzipped
> /boot/gnumach.gz and /boot/serverboot.gz and lo!, it came up in
> single-user mode.

I suppose you use an ancient version of GRUB, which can't read zip'ed
modules. Try a recent grub (0.5.92 eg) with compressed files.

> Running native-install turned up the problem that /usr/info/dir was an
> empty file and thus the install-info processes would hang.

It should not hang, though. Something strange happens on your machine, I
never saw this.

> "dpkg -l" seems to tell me about an inconsistency, though.  It says
> that a number of Perl 5.005 packages are installed, but it also
> mentions `perl-base' which has version 5.004.  This seems to be
> strange.

No, this is perfectly fine. Look at the description and content of perl-base
package, and compare this with the other Debian perl packages as well as the
transition from a single perl package to versioned perl in Debian unstable.

> Now, I need to fetch a compiler and cvs and a working man-db, and then
> I can see how it works with the newest sources :-)

If you miss cpp, it is in interpreters/ (I just say that because it is the
FAQ of the month :)

I believe you can simply update to the latest packages if you be careful
with GRUB. hurd-19990923 is in the archive, and gnumach was not changed
substantially since I last uploaded.

`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org  Check Key server
Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de                        PGP Key ID 36E7CD09
http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/