Re: new inetutils package with better syslogd

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 03:03:21PM -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > There are still some major features missing from the linux version (unix
> > domain sockets and other network stuff), but then we have a much nicer glibc
> > integration and no limits on hostname lengths etc. It's a draw :)
>
> I'm glad that you did the work you did so that my hurd machine will stop
> complaining about the default /etc/syslog.conf's fancy syntax every time it
> boots. :-)  But I think we most certainly should work towards having a
> single syslogd implementation, and probably keep it a separate package as
> the linux one is now.

I am in contact with upstream author and fellow Debian developer Martin
Schulze from linux syslogd and upstream author wussname from inetutils.

The diff output is currently as big as the inetutils source file, even with
trivial code style equalised, but I will work on it. I will send in patches
both way to prepare for an ultimate merge. Doing it this way makes sure that
we get the best of both worlds and get some code cleanup on the way, too. I
also learn a good deal.

[...]

> Now, there is in fact no /dev/kmsg device available as yet.  The kernel
> support is there and (I think) works; it's turned on by --enable-kmsg, and
> that should be in the default package version if it's not already.

It is enabled since the very first package.

[...]

Thanks for the information,