Re: hurd multiple questions...

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> That's because we can't provide the correct information for the /dev/fd
> translator. Instant faking wrong information, we just return a gratuitous
> error message. I think this ratuitous error is not correct, and the
> behaviour of the fd translator should be changed to provide as much useful
> information as possible, fake some information that doesn't harm and return
> a useful error message in all other cases. But I am afraid that for this
> special situation no error number in glibc is appropriate (do we need a new
> error number for this?)

Well, the reason for this error message is that the underlying
translator (for /dev/fd) is behaving in a way which violates the
protocol requirements.  So the error EGRATUITOUS is in fact correct.

What we need to do is fix /dev/fd, probably to present an empty
directory list.  It's hard to fetch a "list of current file
descriptors", but maybe we could try that.

Thomas