Re: does the HURD run on this hardware?

> Why do you think that gnumach will never support modules?

GNUMach is a weird piece of software, because its development is
``layered''. Each time the development team changed, some part of the
philosophy/coding habits changed. For example, there are two kinds of
drivers that coexist in GNUMach: original Mach drivers (almost
deprecated on the i386), and Linux drivers. I don't know if it would
be easy to put both into modules.

I think the main reason is that no one really wants to improve GNUMach
too much. It seems that the policy is to maintain it (i.e.: add new
drivers, fix bugs), but not to improve it. However, anyone willing to
do so is certainly welcome :)

BTW, could someone (Thomas, Roland, Okuji?) tell us what the
``official'' policy is, concerning GNUMach? I'm still porting GNUMach
to the m68k when I have time, but the more it goes, the less it seems
useful... I'd very much like to see the HURD run on some other
architecture, but I'm not sure porting GNUMach is the best way, seen
the poor support it gets... Should I try to do something about libmom
instead, or is this currently a dead end?

Thanks,
Aymeric (vincent@emi.u-bordeaux.fr)