Re: does the HURD run on this hardware?

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> Well, you may want to try
>
> http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install
>
> which has a fat link to the Hardware Compatibility Guide on top of the page.

Thanks, indeed, that's what I wanted to try but somehow I only made it
to a very sparse description from the gnu site...

> > My System has an AMD K6 processor, Matrox Millennium II video (I could
> > replace it with an S3 986 based card) and only IBM harddisk on an Asus
> > SC 200 (NCR 810 based) controller.

> The SCSI controller will be a problem. This is NCR53C8XX right? This driver
> is not included in the binary distributed kernel, because it breaks non-SCSI
> systems. You would have to compile your own kernel. Chicken and egg problem.
> I can compile you a custom kernel, but not before I leave for holidays. Drop
> me a mail if you can't cross compile a kernel and nobody else on this list
> steps in.

Exactly, why I asked prior to trying ;-)  Ok, so I think this is a bit
too adventurous in the moment, since I have to keep my system
rock-solid at least until i'm finished with my graduation.

I think I'll just delay my effort until later this year and then pluck
a used old IDE drive in my system to get the installation done. Sounds
fun, just like in the olden days of Linux 0.9X, when I shuffled drives
around like mad just because the stinkin' BIOS wouldn't let me boot
with a master drive connected on both IDE channels but no slave on the
first. :-))

Thanks for the info
later,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows