hurd setup problem

Greetings all,

I installed hurd from the newest tarball from alpha, and upgraded with debs from sid distribution.
However, I was not able to set up hurd (19990725) properly; I got the following message:

useradd [1508]: cannot open login definitions /etc/login.defs [no such file or directory]

so I tried cat > /etc/login.defs and rerun dpkg --configure

I got following errors:

Setting up hurd (19990725) ...
Checking available versions of runsystem, updating links in /etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Leaving runsystem (/libexec/runsystem) pointing to /libexec/runsystem.gnu.
adduser: `chfn -f Not logged in login' returned error code 10.  Aborting.
Cleaning up.
Removing user `login'.
dpkg: error processing hurd (--configure):
 hurd

When I do /sbin/reboot, I get always the message:
ext2fs: hd2s1 not cleanly unmounted, fsck forced

What am I doing wrong? Could you help me somehow, please?

Regards,
-Peter.

--

Peter Cejchan
Institute of Geology, Academy of Science, Prague, CZ