Re: Install attempt

On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 10:22:15AM -0400, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> > > I keep hearing my hurd partition has to be small. Currently it is 6 gig,
> > > but I don't see anything complaining. Is this OK?
> >
> > MUCH to big. It did really not complain? Note that we talk about the
> > partition, not about the hard disk as a whole. Are you sure you made a 6GB
> > ext2fs partition for the Hurd? The partition should be ~ 1 GB max.
>
> I'm sick of hearing about this limitation.

If enough people start to feel sick about it, maybe someone will start
working on it.

> It probably isn't something trivial to fix since someone would've done it
> by now if it were. But even if we're not going to tackle it right now,
> it'd be nice to start gathering information on what needs to be done.

Nobody asked until now. Now that someone asked, Roland or Thomas will say
something about it, I am sure. However, this is even more useful if there is
a volunteer to write and test the changes, too. Information is dead if it
isn't made use of.

> At least, it's better than telling every newcomer about it, IMO. :)

That's all I can do. Even if I knew more about this, I couldn't fix it.
So unless someone volunteers, we will still need to tell everyone about it,
regardless how much we know about this issue.

FWIW, I agree that there could be more information about the problems that
exist. That's why I am currently wading through the mailing list archive to
get as much documentation as I can. However, I am still in August 1996 :)

Expect some new pages at www.debian.org/ports/hurd soon. I will also make a
page with documented small projects that volunteers can pick up (like this
one).